17th Anniversary of 9-11...

17th Anniversary of 9-11...
On the 17th Anniversary of 9-11, we continue prayers for a path to peace. (Picture above - TishTrek and husband Harry @ the podium inside the United Nations General Assembly Hall in New York City). It was the privilege of a lifetime for us to be with leaders from around the world on a night when honoring excellence in writing and reporting was the common language uniting all of us. As one of the proud sponsors of the Annual U.N. Correspondents' Dinner, we enjoyed honoring excellence in writing and communications by helping to fund scholarships for international university students who had the courage & talent to tackle some of the difficult issues of our time. Through their magnificent words, they successfully created content that helped readers see through the lens of their research & life experiences. These students inspired all of us. I have confidence the next generation will pick up where we leave off.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Make Words Matter: "I am thankful for my heart"

Day #3 of TishTrek and my NEW score is 3/51! Yes - I have lost 3 of the 51 pounds I’m determined to lose in my 51st year! I also reached a personal daily goal by logging over 8,000 steps on my Virgin HealthMiles monitor yesterday. I’m on a roll. My energy and enthusiasm is high, but today I have to start reaching for the support that is all around me to make sure I can continue this journey for 52 weeks with the consistency it requires.

For over twenty years, my mom always liked to jump-start her day by reading a little book called the Daily Word for inspiration. I never paid much attention to this peaceful morning ritual until she brought the book to Jersey Shore Medical Center the day of my first pacemaker surgery. Right after doctors rescued me from acute bradycardia, I rested peacefully and felt joy because they had successfully addressed the breakdown of that internal electrical system that controls the beating of my heart. When I got out of recovery, my mom leaned in close and read the designated prayer for that day to me. It was dated 11/14/2000. There seemed to be a remarkable coincidence... it was as if somehow the topic was written specifically for me and my challenge that day. It was entitled, “Heart Blessing - I am thankful for my heart.”

I've kept this prayer in a frame on my refrigerator for nine years, so I've decided to repeat the words daily during my 51/51 Challenge to help me stay focused on what this important health and wellness mission is really all about. The message is universal: you don't have to get sick or be a pacemaker recipient to find good reasons to put heart health first... From page 29 of the Daily Word, below is the cherished gift my mom shared with me:

I bless my heart in prayer, faithfully affirming that the life within the cells of this life-sustaining organ responds to my words of life and renewal:
“God, whether I am awake or asleep, active or at rest, my heart continues to pump, circulating nourishment throughout my body.”
“I am thankful for my heart, and I am willing to do whatever I need to do to help keep it functioning at its best.”
“You have already provided for the renewing and healing of my heart, God. Being a thankful, responsible person, I avoid or stop any habit that would interfere with the steady, strong beat of my heart.”
“Thank You, God, for providing me with a strong heart and for the ongoing renewal of this magnificent organ.”
I am thankful for my heart.

Wow - I'm inspired to work my way to Day #4!

Best regards,
Everybody’s Cousin Tish
Score: 3/51!!

Quote of the Day: “My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast.”
- Psalm 108:1

No comments:

Post a Comment