17th Anniversary of 9-11...

17th Anniversary of 9-11...
On the 17th Anniversary of 9-11, we continue prayers for a path to peace. (Picture above - TishTrek and husband Harry @ the podium inside the United Nations General Assembly Hall in New York City). It was the privilege of a lifetime for us to be with leaders from around the world on a night when honoring excellence in writing and reporting was the common language uniting all of us. As one of the proud sponsors of the Annual U.N. Correspondents' Dinner, we enjoyed honoring excellence in writing and communications by helping to fund scholarships for international university students who had the courage & talent to tackle some of the difficult issues of our time. Through their magnificent words, they successfully created content that helped readers see through the lens of their research & life experiences. These students inspired all of us. I have confidence the next generation will pick up where we leave off.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Big Steps... But I'll Always Have Keyport!

I'm proud to report that I did my part for my NEW Team today which is Day #6 of TishTrek - My 51/51 Challenge. I actually logged 15,576 steps! 21 Days left before this FIRST group challenge ends.

I actually watched a very serious competitor and colleague log almost 25,000 steps by jogging in place at his desk all day. He's a senior executive, so no one will say a word... Me - I got up; spent an hour on the treadmill; went to work; took the steps instead of elevators; then made my way back home and walked on the treadmill for another 1 1/2 hours while watching the news. If I can read or watch TV, I can be walking, right?

I know I've been carrying on about this team stuff, but in the name of genes, everyone always swore I had to have abilities like all the great athletes in my family. I never saw it. It never happend. If you can believe it I was sent to the Pocono Invitational Basketball Camp in the summer of 1973 and WNBA Hall of Famer - "Lady Magic" herself - #10 Nancy Lieberman was one of my coach/counselors and that fact did not help, (I have pictures!). My poor parents didn't find out they had wasted their money until the Pt. Pleasant Borough vs Keyport Girl's Basketball Game. We were expected to win by 60 points, so the school was convinced I'd get a chance to play that day. Coach White even made a special effort to make sure my mom would be in the stands.

My basketball debut went like this: Diane Callender and Laurie Grassi lined up the perfect shot; they threw me the ball; I dribbled to the north for 40 seconds; tripped over my own two feet; fell to the floor; punched myself in the stomach with the fists I had clenched to block the fall; and ended up knocking the wind out of myself. When I came to, the seniors carried me off the court.

When the season ended, I got dropped off at the brand new Performing Arts building where my musical debut in "Stop the World - I Want to Get Off" worked out better than Keyport. My thanks to Mr. Donley! I'm so glad they named the building that saved my freshman year after him!

AND PS: What a basketball taught me was this: "If at first you don't succeed... it's okay to move to the next option with enthusiasm."


Best regards,
Everybody's Cousin Tish
Score: 4/51

Quote of the Day: "If you want something to be different, you must do something differently."
- Living Successfully with Screwed-Up People, Thirteenth printing, August 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment