17th Anniversary of 9-11...

17th Anniversary of 9-11...
On the 17th Anniversary of 9-11, we continue prayers for a path to peace. (Picture above - TishTrek and husband Harry @ the podium inside the United Nations General Assembly Hall in New York City). It was the privilege of a lifetime for us to be with leaders from around the world on a night when honoring excellence in writing and reporting was the common language uniting all of us. As one of the proud sponsors of the Annual U.N. Correspondents' Dinner, we enjoyed honoring excellence in writing and communications by helping to fund scholarships for international university students who had the courage & talent to tackle some of the difficult issues of our time. Through their magnificent words, they successfully created content that helped readers see through the lens of their research & life experiences. These students inspired all of us. I have confidence the next generation will pick up where we leave off.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Celebrating 55 Pounds of LOVE: My Kate & Scott!

Day #15 - Step, step, step...

I want to talk quickly about THOSE numbers that I stated I do not want to FOCUS on to explain one of my strategies in this journey.

When I was pregnant with both of my children, I operated completely differently on both counts with regards to activity and cravings:

In Kate's case, my Harry would have to execute U-turns across 8 lane highways so I could get a Big Mac at McDonald's because for whatever reason those Golden Arches had my name on them for 9 months! I also had a weird craving for peanut M&M's. Maybe I needed salt? Who knows? I cannot explain why. It just happened.

In Scott's case, my Aunt Nonnie inspired me to join Living Well Lady Health Club and we exercised together on bikes and treadmills, in pools and we walked for miles on the Spring Lake Boardwalk religiously and with a passion. It was an impressive effort.

Guess what? I gained 55 pounds during both pregnancies! The most interesting part of this story is the fact that in Scott's case, I lost 28 pounds before I even brought him home from the hospital. In Kate's case, I didn't lose one pound until a few days after her second birthday when a picture arrived showing a backside view of me serving a super-sized Little Mermaid cake at my beautiful Kate's Birthday Party. A Mack-Truck had replaced my back-end! I screamed and jumped into action.

My point here is that if I had stayed hyper-focused on the number FIFTY-FIVE, I might have given up taking all that healthy action I had the "opportunity and time" to take when I was pregnant with Scott. Obviously, what happened with him is that I set my body up to bounce back after my little bundle of life-long joy arrived!

So many women focus on NUMBERS, so I've decided to ONLY focus on the 51 pounds I want to lose. That number will either stay the same or go down if I continue TishTrek with energy and conviction. If I was standing on a scale that read 251 pounds three weeks ago and this week it's only reading 244, there's a good chance I can swamp my mind with disappointment because this society hasn't conditioned any of us to celebrate numbers in the 200's - no matter how hard we are working.

My score changed at the doctor's office last night and I'm proud of myself, but I am not focused on THE big number. I'm happy that I'm down 7 pounds which means 44 more might follow. This journey is all about progress!

Best regards,
Everybody's Cousin Tish
Score: 44/51

Quote of the Day: "Cruel words, (Such as, "Did you hear Mrs. Ferg gained 55 pounds during both her pregnancies?!"), do to the spirit what a vacuum cleaner does to dirt - suck you in and entrap you."
- Living Successfully with Screwed-Up People, Elizabeth B. Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment