17th Anniversary of 9-11...

17th Anniversary of 9-11...
On the 17th Anniversary of 9-11, we continue prayers for a path to peace. (Picture above - TishTrek and husband Harry @ the podium inside the United Nations General Assembly Hall in New York City). It was the privilege of a lifetime for us to be with leaders from around the world on a night when honoring excellence in writing and reporting was the common language uniting all of us. As one of the proud sponsors of the Annual U.N. Correspondents' Dinner, we enjoyed honoring excellence in writing and communications by helping to fund scholarships for international university students who had the courage & talent to tackle some of the difficult issues of our time. Through their magnificent words, they successfully created content that helped readers see through the lens of their research & life experiences. These students inspired all of us. I have confidence the next generation will pick up where we leave off.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Friends & Family Package...

Darn it! No steps allowed... Sinusitis attacked me Friday night, so stepping is not an option. I'm going to have to hope that members of my team can pick up "my step-slack" this weekend. A fever sent me to bed for the last two days, but the doctor gave me an antibiotic and a decongestant to relieve this affliction, so I should be good-to-go again soon.

Since I'm in the quiet-zone today, I want to write about something that feels very personal. On recent blog pages, I've carried on about what an active and fun-loving non-athlete I've been my entire life. Then I shared how a diagnosis of the heart left me in denial and disbelief for years... I never really understood what that was all about until I read an enlightening article written by Dr. David Swee, MD, professor of family medicine and associate dean for education at UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School in Piscataway, New Jersey. When asked, "How difficult is it for people to cope with a new diagnosis?" Dr. Swee responded:

"A person's ability to cope generally depends upon his or her health condition and personality. For instance, if someone has symptoms but is unsure of the cause, a diagnosis, especially if it's minor, can come as a big relief. But a diagnosis of a very serious condition often triggers a grieving process - people mourn for the "healthy" person they once were, while learning to accept their new condition."

Some people get on to accepting their condition quickly; for others - like me - it can take years. Some choose to never accept it.

Anxiety and depression are not signs of personal weakness. People need to know this. They are - in fact - very "common" reactions to coming up against life-changing situations.

If you're lucky enough to have a wonderful family, loving aunts, uncles, cousins and friends - go find them! You don't have to talk about your diagnosis, anxiety or fear... Throw yourself in a room with their positive energy and it will help you through.

Best regards,
Everybody's Cousin Tish
Score: 7/51

Quote of the Day: "Just find someone to turn to, and you'll always come around."
- Lynn McGuiness, 1975

1 comment:

  1. Feel better, Tish. Seems like this 'program' is about so much more than the physical steps you take. I read your blog, feel inspired and then do nothing. Working hard at home is so sedentary. But I can change that like you are doing! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete