17th Anniversary of 9-11...

17th Anniversary of 9-11...
On the 17th Anniversary of 9-11, we continue prayers for a path to peace. (Picture above - TishTrek and husband Harry @ the podium inside the United Nations General Assembly Hall in New York City). It was the privilege of a lifetime for us to be with leaders from around the world on a night when honoring excellence in writing and reporting was the common language uniting all of us. As one of the proud sponsors of the Annual U.N. Correspondents' Dinner, we enjoyed honoring excellence in writing and communications by helping to fund scholarships for international university students who had the courage & talent to tackle some of the difficult issues of our time. Through their magnificent words, they successfully created content that helped readers see through the lens of their research & life experiences. These students inspired all of us. I have confidence the next generation will pick up where we leave off.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Grandma Knows Best: "The Bladder Matters!"

Happy Weekend! Yesterday was Day #9 and I logged 17,779 steps. This week's rule: If you can trek 3 miles to a relatives house (and borrow the bathroom), you can trek back!

I'm proud to note that I went to the doctor's office for my first "Wellness Visit" since my youngest child was born. As I mentioned earlier, I have two children and my youngest - Scott - is 16 years old and a tad over 6 feet tall this week. I admit that since he was THE last child, every time the poor kid made some progress, I found myself shoving him back in the bassinet! But think about it, 16 years since my last wellness visit? What was I thinking?

Like many people, I grew up understanding that you only go to the doctor for the birth of children -(if you didn't opt to have them at home, so you could return to housework an hour later...), illness that was accompanied by a fever - (sometimes...), emergencies -(maybe...) and surgery. I'm at the tail-end of my grandmother's generation and I'm telling you that you'd never go to the doctor to say, "Doc - I feel great this week, let me know what else I can be doing to make sure this super good health patch continues!" Are you kidding me?! If we did this, our grandmothers would think we were looking for attention!

The tough birds we called "family patriarchs and matriarchs" prevailed long into their 80's AND their smarts and biology goes down as one of our great family secrets!

I believe Grandma Sharkey would approve of TishTrek because I'm FINALLY walking! For 30 years, I stopped to have tea during my early-day jogs at her home on New Jersey Avenue in Pt. Beach and she'd always warn, "Stop that jogging or your bladder will fall out!" Oh my gosh - in 1995 - it did! I mean the bladder. It actually fell out! She was right and bless her heart because 180 stitches later, she NEVER once said, "I told you so!" My point here is that our grandmothers didn't have to go to the doctors because they were much smarter than all of us. We're not that smart, so call your doctor, make that Wellness Appointment!

She was the greatest and wisest grandmother a girl could wish for...

Best regards,
Everybody's Cousin Tish
Score: 5/51

Quote for the Day: "Be wise: let Reason, not impulse, be your guide."
- Kahlil Gibran

2 comments:

  1. I'm rooting for you Tish! When I started back to the gym this year; it was quite difficult for me to do just about anything in the first few weeks. But I kept at it - one step at a time.

    Take time for yourself; schedule the time- you will definitely reap the benefits.

    Your sister- Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tish, I only got to read this one at 11:48 pm on Monday, but the full out laugh which I don't do often went on for almost a full minute. Laughter is good for the body and the soul. Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete