17th Anniversary of 9-11...

17th Anniversary of 9-11...
On the 17th Anniversary of 9-11, we continue prayers for a path to peace. (Picture above - TishTrek and husband Harry @ the podium inside the United Nations General Assembly Hall in New York City). It was the privilege of a lifetime for us to be with leaders from around the world on a night when honoring excellence in writing and reporting was the common language uniting all of us. As one of the proud sponsors of the Annual U.N. Correspondents' Dinner, we enjoyed honoring excellence in writing and communications by helping to fund scholarships for international university students who had the courage & talent to tackle some of the difficult issues of our time. Through their magnificent words, they successfully created content that helped readers see through the lens of their research & life experiences. These students inspired all of us. I have confidence the next generation will pick up where we leave off.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

"Pat Fat" Ate My Brain!

Day #12 and I'm cutting out early today to get some rest. I only logged a tad over 3,000 miles, but that's okay because tomorrow will be a more productive day. I'm thinking I have to get these steps done first thing in the morning because I get very busy at work; couldn't break out until after 8 p.m. this evening and just ran out of time. While I work on this time management issue, I have an important story for my girls at The Ohio State University...

In grammar school everyone knew me as Patty Hart. Kids being kids got a giant kick out of calling me "Pat Fat" or "Fatty - (you fill in the blanks) - the last name started with an "F" and rhymed with ART!" I laughed with them, but the first chance I got to move my nickname from "Patty" to "Tish" so these name-games could be history, I went for it!

I'm now convinced that some kind of "Pat Fat" phenomenon stayed with me. It would lead me to scores of ridiculous diets and remedies that never actually helped or lasted. Look at this exhausting list: I invented my Summer of 1973 Tomato Soup and Tab Soda Diet and actually inspired friends to join in. Then, there was the Cambridge Diet, all those Weight Loss Supplements containing Phenylpropanolamine including, but not limited to Dexatrim, Accutrim, the Chromo-Wonder pill you had to send away for, Fen-Phen, (yes - that bad combo prescribed to me by doctors long before it was recalled by the FDA!); Alli; the Blue Pill that ruins furniture, the High Fiber Diet, the Chinese Slimming Tea Secret, Patty's Private Potion, the Detox and Cabbage Soup Diets, Dr. Atkins, cases of Slim-Fast and of course starvation - that short-lived 3-day stunt I only used when jeans had to fit by Friday! What the heck was I thinking? I look back and ask, "Did "Pat Fat" eat my brain?!

So here is an important Mom Monologue for the masses, (No eye rolling please; I need you to listen!): OH MY GOSH - On December 21, 2000, The New England Journal of Medicine published the link between Phenylpropanolamine and the Risk of Hemorrhagic Stroke in women! (Volume 343:1826-1832 / Number 25)

When I read the report, I cried because it was clear that some of those crazy diets and over-the-counter witches brews could have maimed or killed me and the generation of incredible women who traveled with me. It was one of "those" days.

RESEARCHERS: Walter N. Kernan, M.D., Catherine M. Viscoli, Ph.D., Lawrence M. Brass, M.D., Joseph P. Broderick, M.D., Thomas Brott, M.D., Edward Feldmann, M.D., Lewis B. Morgenstern, M.D., Janet Lee Wilterdink, M.D., and Ralph I. Horwitz, M.D.

BACKGROUND: Phenylpropanolamine is commonly found in OVER-THE-COUNTER and prescription appetite suppressants and cough or cold remedies. Case reports have linked the use of products containing phenylpropanolamine to hemorrhagic stroke, OFTEN after the FIRST USE of these products.

To study the association, the long list of doctors above designed a case–control study.

CONCLUSION: The results suggest that phenylpropanolamine in appetite suppressants, and possibly in cough and cold remedies, is an independent risk factor for hemorrhagic stroke in women, (i.e. We're talking about a stroke brought on by bleeding in your brain because you wanted to drop a couple pounds by the weekend!)

Looking back is not an option... The great news is that TishTrek and my Virgin HealthMiles Program keeps my personal health, welfare and safety at the forefront of this journey.


Best regards,
Everybody's Cousin Tish
Score: 5/51

Quote of the Day: "In order to lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you consume."
- U.S. Government Health & Wellness Site, HHS.gov (Small Step)

No comments:

Post a Comment