17th Anniversary of 9-11...

17th Anniversary of 9-11...
On the 17th Anniversary of 9-11, we continue prayers for a path to peace. (Picture above - TishTrek and husband Harry @ the podium inside the United Nations General Assembly Hall in New York City). It was the privilege of a lifetime for us to be with leaders from around the world on a night when honoring excellence in writing and reporting was the common language uniting all of us. As one of the proud sponsors of the Annual U.N. Correspondents' Dinner, we enjoyed honoring excellence in writing and communications by helping to fund scholarships for international university students who had the courage & talent to tackle some of the difficult issues of our time. Through their magnificent words, they successfully created content that helped readers see through the lens of their research & life experiences. These students inspired all of us. I have confidence the next generation will pick up where we leave off.

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Healthy as a Brick What?

The All Shore Chorus ticket crisis was resolved! Two feet of snow cancelled the show!

Step, shovel, step, shovel, step, shovel... We were hit with 18 inches of snow in these parts and it's still snowing. No fair! My friends in Westfield reported 4 inches and NYC is reporting ZERO in some parts. Maggie G in Maryland is getting a work-out with a whopping 24 inches so far with approximately 10 more inches on the way! Go Maggie!

My Harry is attending Jennifer Ferguson's wedding in Las Vegas today! All the Ferguson siblings from around the country and Grandma Eunie were able to be on hand to celebrate this glorious occasion. Wish I could be there right now because Jennifer is that kind of niece who is absolutely wonderful to have in our family. She's smart, sweet, outgoing, generous, beautiful, fun to be with, hard working, loving, and the list goes on and on... This is a special day for our family and we hope that all the joy she has brought to others comes back to her ten-fold for the rest of her life! We love you Jen!

Now, back to health clubs: I'm leaning towards the $99.00 special at Brick Fitness -an all women's club with a casual and supportive atmosphere! My Amy suggested it... and a few of my friends are satisfied patrons, so I'm going to check it out as soon as the snow clears!

You have no idea how important a little professional exercise oversight is for a klutz like me. Last February, I launched my 487th failed attempt at an exercise program. There I was minding my own business on the treadmill in my garage at 10 p.m. and - like an idiot - I lost my footing and was thrown off onto the concrete floor. I squealed like a pig on fire and no one heard me! As I executed a quiet damage assessment, I couldn't help but think that maybe I should have paid attention to Aunt Nonnie five years ago when her observations caused her to blurt out, "Hey Tish - I think you've been jogging for thirty years and how much weight have you lost? A pound?"

After an awful night of hot baths, I had no option but to go to the emergency room next to the O.B. Diner. Aside from my broken rib and the rubber burn exposing the hole the edge of the treadmill tore into my leg, I had also sprained my right shoulder, arm and wrist; And oh my gosh - my collar bone still goes into stinging spasms one year later!! They sent me on my way with a blow up cast to secure my wrist, a prescription for shoulder rehab, and the rest as they say, "Is another chapter in Tish's pathetic athletic history!" Am I the only one seeing a pattern here? As I continue pounding on my keyboard in the Blogosphere, aren't you starting to wonder why the heck I didn't take a collection for liposuction years ago?!

The following Monday when I went to work, two of my colleagues were in casts as well - one guy fell on the basketball court; the other faltered while skate boarding. Okay, their stories were better than mine, but I admit I was happy there were a couple of other injuries in the office that week to take some of the spotlight off my sling!

I'll tell you, my Dad was always proud of me when I jogged from our house on Forman Avenue to the Manasquan Inlet and back; or from the Laurelton Circle to home again. He'd always smile and say, "Tish - Great job! You know you'll never be Twiggy... but all that running will keep you as strong as a brick shit house and healthy as a bull!"

My gosh - I just figured out that Aunt Nonnie and Dad were both trying to warn me that all my athletic efforts were headed straight for the nearest toilet!

How could a girl not know that being compared to a brick shit house and a bull wasn't exactly something to brag about?!

Best regards,
Everybody's Cousin Tish
Score: 13/51

Quote of the Day: "A wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings, and learn how by his own thought to derive benefit from his illnesses."
-Hippocrates

No comments:

Post a Comment