17th Anniversary of 9-11...

17th Anniversary of 9-11...
On the 17th Anniversary of 9-11, we continue prayers for a path to peace. (Picture above - TishTrek and husband Harry @ the podium inside the United Nations General Assembly Hall in New York City). It was the privilege of a lifetime for us to be with leaders from around the world on a night when honoring excellence in writing and reporting was the common language uniting all of us. As one of the proud sponsors of the Annual U.N. Correspondents' Dinner, we enjoyed honoring excellence in writing and communications by helping to fund scholarships for international university students who had the courage & talent to tackle some of the difficult issues of our time. Through their magnificent words, they successfully created content that helped readers see through the lens of their research & life experiences. These students inspired all of us. I have confidence the next generation will pick up where we leave off.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Health Clubs: No Judging Books By Their Covers!

Step, step, step... I only made time to log 3,021 steps yesterday on my Virgin Healthmiles GoZone Monitor, so I have to step it up this week. The good news is: Yesterday, a member of my team from the New Year's Resolution Challenge invited me to participate in a NEW challenge which starts February 6th! I'm pumped! The goal is to see who can get to 100,000 steps first. I won't win this challenge because of the Achilles heel, but I'm joining anyway... I stayed motivated knowing that other colleagues were watching my score during that first challenge. I think I poured it on more often for that reason alone, so I'm going to join this new group effort and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

Today I'm going to start my search for a health club to help enhance this journey. Sixteen years ago I belonged to Living Well Lady and did rather well... but I have some reservations on which gyms I "might" be inclined to join and which ones someone called "Pat Fat" in her childhood "might" have to steer clear of. Look, I need help, so if you think any of my perceptions are wrong, please send an e-mail to tish509@comcast.net!!

- I'm looking for the best place in town for my needs. Aerobic fitness and steps are great, but without "some" weight training, it's impossible to attack inches on every front. I knew this in January, but I didn't want to overwhelm myself with too many NEW athletic commitments in the first few weeks. January was about Virgin HealthMiles steps; February is about getting stronger with the help of weight training. Make no mistake though - January and February won't count if every month in 2010 is not also about what I put into my body and how I handle life's responsibilities and the stress that comes along for those little rides...

Let's see - How about Gold's Gym on Rt 35 South? Years ago, the grand opening reminded me of a scene from MTV's "Jersey Shore!" Back then, I didn't think I owned enough gold necklaces or tanning lotion to workout there, so I ran to Wall Township and did the safe thing - I joined Living Well Lady! Then again, those high caliber athletes with their magnificent "GOLD"EN tans are in such stellar shape, that I imagine these days they'd make a 51 year old wanna be - like me - feel a tad out of my muscle league, don't you think? I picture them looking over in a flabbergasted stunned state thinking, "Who let this lady out of my grandmother's nursing home? Or good gosh - that broad should have found a health club 30 years ago?!" Is there a chance that as these Thumb-Heads and Juicers stay focused on fawning over their own reflections in the 100-plus exercise mirrors, that not a single one of them would even notice me?! This club is local; right on the way home from work; lots of equipment; good price; nice atmosphere; and good trainers. Hmmm...

Then there's the "Social Experiment" called Brielle Sports Club where the old Shop Rite used to sit. Does anyone remember that Bar and "Polyester Pant Palace" called the Barber Shop where Farrell's Restaurant now resides in Pt. Beach? Oh gosh, the stories making their way across the Manasquan River are managing to keep the memories of those leisure suit lizards at the Barber Shop on Broadway alive! If you're single - just grab your short-shorts and sign up for this gym right away. Rumor has it, the establishment has an actual Meat Counter left over from the old Shop-Rite days for professionals looking for new commuting partners to run with for the rest of their lives! Married, single - it doesn't matter - it's an equal opportunity environment. Show up and take a number! We're talking don't even think about touching your toes if you're not looking for action! I guess it's nice to know that muscular creepy crawlers have healthier places to prowl in the 21st Century, but really girls?! Maybe if the Barber Shop was still around, this glorious health club would not have been soiled by the stench of rotting sneakers. This place is out.

"Anytime Fitness" in Pt. Pleasant is run by a very nice couple. They are expert personal trainers and I've heard they've helped many students in our area get into shape, prepare for sports seasons, championships, etc., so maybe they could map out a program to help little "old" me? But then again, I can only go here if I don't mind every health-obsessed teacher, student, and citizen in Pt. Pleasant knowing how many minutes I spend on treadmills or how much my back fat wobbles when I'm executing upper-body movements. Everyone in town loves this place!! And Okay - You can access this facility 24/7, so maybe arriving three nights a week after my commute from Jersey City, would actually keep me from running into too many familiar faces on a regular basis. After all, I wouldn't be exercising until after 8:00 p.m., right? But then again, what's a girl to do about those weekends?!! Hmmm...

My cousin Brian, and our awesome Sandy, just joined (perhaps rejoined...) the Meridian Healthcare Facility called LIFE on Arnold Ave in Pt. Beach. I'm gone four days week from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., so I just don't think the hours at LIFE can accommodate me and my crazy schedule. Hmmm - but they have health care professionals from all walks of life, (no pun intended), on-hand to monitor their customers and that could be a definite long-term health benefit for me. Maybe a couple of days a week - while being monitored closely - is all I need? Any effort will be more weight training than I was doing last month.

How about the glorious Atlantic Club in Wall Township with its' top-notch amenities?? Nope - I'd never find the time to get my money's worth! But - most people I know love this place! This club is in my future!

Now - there's also a new Boot Camp in town, but I've heard working with big balls can be dangerous? Is this true? Does anyone out there have an opinion?

Okay... Finally, there is the Newport Health and Racquet Club in Jersey City across from my office. Many colleagues exercise during lunch or immediately after work. If I go there after work, I'd get home much later than 8 p.m. and that's a long day. Also, I know I could never get there in the middle of the afternoon. Not sure my commitment could be consistent if I choose a gym this close to my office and so far away from my home. Hmmm...

I'll have to walk and think on this one. I'll circle back soon.

Best regards,
Everybody's Cousin Tish
Score: 13/51

Quote of the Day: "When you're searching for a gym, don't judge a book by it's cover! Never poke fun at people who exercise harder than you, unless you hire a personal trainer as a body guard!" - author unknown

Help Wanted: Personal Trainer! Call Tish immediately, if not sooner.

3 comments:

  1. Tish, probably all of these places would offer you a trial membership for a week. With all of the options, you could go almost 6 weeks without spending a dime! I recommend buying 5 to 10 sessions with a good personal trainer. I did this a year or two ago because I was very concerned about hurting myself. I learned a lot about fitness and nutrition and when you have an 'appointment' with someone, it's harder to bail. Good luck; keep us posted. And at most of these places, there are so many mirrors that the 'juiceheads' (Jersey Shore term) spend more time looking at themselves than anyone else. Of course, this is coming from someone who did water aerobics with the Silver Sneakers crew. If you can find them, you'll never find a more empowering group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with a lot of what Mary said. I absolutely loved the Atlantic Club when I went there but it's out of the way and expensive! I think you should go to a place where you can do a few sessions with a personal trainer. I have lots of good work out ideas since I'm getting into shape as well (5 pounds down...go me!) but I'm afraid some of those may be too hard on your knees. Strength training is key to losing pounds, toning your body and boosting your metabolism. There is a planet fitness in brick near drum point plaza that opened as well. I heard it's decent. I think Golds is your best choice since it is so close and has a wonderful reputation. I will join with you there as soon as I get home in june :) Let me know what you pick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tish,

    I have to weigh in on the Health Clubs since I was in the business for over ten years. It is in your best interest to work with a trainer first and learn what your can and cannot do. There are so many options, I agree with Mary do a trial membership and do it in Jersey City at lunch if possible. It will give you a break in the middle of the day (you will have a commitment to your trainer so you won't want to cancel). You should start out twice a week and build up to three times. You can get out on a Tues & Thurs or a Monday & Weds. and add Friday as a bonus day if you can make it work. I also suggest finding out from the general manager at the club which trainer has the best credentials (some have limited certifications and others have masters in degrees. Get someone you like and trust. Good luck!
    Kathleen M. Sharkey

    ReplyDelete