17th Anniversary of 9-11...

17th Anniversary of 9-11...
On the 17th Anniversary of 9-11, we continue prayers for a path to peace. (Picture above - TishTrek and husband Harry @ the podium inside the United Nations General Assembly Hall in New York City). It was the privilege of a lifetime for us to be with leaders from around the world on a night when honoring excellence in writing and reporting was the common language uniting all of us. As one of the proud sponsors of the Annual U.N. Correspondents' Dinner, we enjoyed honoring excellence in writing and communications by helping to fund scholarships for international university students who had the courage & talent to tackle some of the difficult issues of our time. Through their magnificent words, they successfully created content that helped readers see through the lens of their research & life experiences. These students inspired all of us. I have confidence the next generation will pick up where we leave off.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Jersey Girl Takes On The World - katecferg.blogspot.com

Welcome to TishTrek - THE JOB BLOG!

I was stopped in my tracks today by my daughter Kate's blog: "Jersey Girl Takes On The World" - katecferg.blogspot.com - which I had not read most of August. This is a moment moms & dads wait for..



Wednesday, August 11, 2010
My How Time Flies


My baby brother turned 17 today! I cannot believe it. I think I am in more shock right now than my parents are (although mom did cry last night and placed two pacifiers in a cake – yes, Tish really did that. Scott and I were a tad freaked out). In NJ, we receive our driver’s license at 17, and Scottie passed his test this morning. I felt like a middle-aged weeping mother as I ran outside in my running clothes to watch him leave with my car (this could be an issue) for work. I forced him to take the picture you see above. I then proceeded to tell him to drive safe, turn down his music, and watch for pedestrians. Oh boy, this is going to be fun.

Each year that I grow older never seems to phase me. I welcomed the last 21 birthdays with excitement for that next chapter in my life; I can officially drive (17), I can officially drive without a probationary license (18), I can buy cigarettes even though I don’t smoke (19), I am officially no longer a teenager (20), I can drink legally (21!). But when you watch those younger than you grow and hit ages that you remember quite well (they day I took my driving test seems like yesterday. I still remember the outfit I wore to school), it becomes scary. My brother is no longer little; he’s no longer the baby. He’s one year away from adulthood. He drove the car away, and I felt a part of my childhood drive away with him. Where’s that boy who I used to play school with? Where is that kid I taught to swim? I still remember (thanks to countless views of old home movies) the way he used to whine “Katie” when he wanted something. He now debates politics with me, talks about colleges, and comes to me when he has questions about friends and relationships.

I’m very blessed to have the bond I have with my brother – a bond that will hopefully grow even stronger with time. We’ve grown closer as we’ve grown older, and I now think of him as one of my friends. We still bicker like cats and dogs, and I think he secretly wants me to move out as quickly as possible so that he can once again commandeer the downstairs (he also wants a cool place to stay in the city). I picked him up from the airport last night, and we chatted about his trip and his birthday. He was nervous to take the test, and I was nervous for him. But when I woke up this morning, there was the text that shouted “I am now a licensed driver!” The text scared me half out of bed (he actually passed?!), and then a sense of pride washed over me. He did it. That little, slightly annoying, used to be chubby, trumpet player in the school band boy grew up over night….and I never saw it coming.

Happy Birthday Scottie! I love you! xoxo DON’T text and drive!

Posted by Kate at 10:05 AM on August 11th, 2010.

This message has been approved by The Mom. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment