17th Anniversary of 9-11...

17th Anniversary of 9-11...
On the 17th Anniversary of 9-11, we continue prayers for a path to peace. (Picture above - TishTrek and husband Harry @ the podium inside the United Nations General Assembly Hall in New York City). It was the privilege of a lifetime for us to be with leaders from around the world on a night when honoring excellence in writing and reporting was the common language uniting all of us. As one of the proud sponsors of the Annual U.N. Correspondents' Dinner, we enjoyed honoring excellence in writing and communications by helping to fund scholarships for international university students who had the courage & talent to tackle some of the difficult issues of our time. Through their magnificent words, they successfully created content that helped readers see through the lens of their research & life experiences. These students inspired all of us. I have confidence the next generation will pick up where we leave off.

Friday, March 12, 2010

Did you hear about the Lady on the "Step Journey" who broke her foot?!!

Forget the step, step, step...

Okay, I haven't written since Monday! Well?? Did you hear the one about the woman who went on a Virgin Healthmiles Step Journey and broke her foot?!

OMG - I can't even make this up! I broke my right foot on Wednesday morning and... I wasn't even excercising!! Two breaks in one bone!! Okay Aunt Nonnie - I FINALLY hear you! I should take up swimming??!!

What happened? Arghhhh... Two football stars, "My Adam" (Bobertz) from Wesley College and Pt. Plesant's own Matt Purro from Kean University moved 900 pounds of furniture for me and Harry on Saturday and I kept yelling, "Oh, be careful my boys!" "I'll take the drawers out of the dressers so they're not too heavy for you... Don't hurt yourself! etc." Can someone send a text message My Boys and let them know that their faithful spotter actually broke her foot and sprained her ankle and knee while putting the sheets on the *&&^#@ BED they moved!!!!

My Kate returns home for Spring Break on Monday, March 15th and I was putting a dust ruffle on her bed (of course - everyone pulls the queen-size mattress off, applies ruffle, then stands on box spring in bare feet and PJ's to pull heavy mattress back into position!) Oh good gosh - the weight of the mattress in that position was too much for me! It pulled me forward so hard - that I fell forward on one foot. I was more than two feet off the ground, so when I hit the floor, my right foot turned completely inward and rolled under me. I was KO'd! The pain was so bad that I blacked out. Then, I woke up quickly and screamed my head off like the wife being chased by Glenn Close with that knife in the movie Fatal Attraction.

I literally crawled up the steps into the kitchen where my phones were and as I was trying to control my hyperventilated & hysterical state, a beloved Cousin Anne sent a text message... "The 911 Lady in our Family" - was at my door in ten minutes and we were off to the hospital in the Anne-Mobile!

This journey - TishTrek - my 51/51 Challenge - is not over! I'm not giving up! I'm not giving in! I can still win! I'll just make the next 6 weeks all about upper-body strength!

Oh and here's the kicker for those of you who can still kick: When Kate called home from The Ohio State University to check up on me, can you believe she told me she never liked that dust ruffle in the first place?! Oh my gosh - my response, it's CURTAINS for you honey! Yes - in fact - Cousin Karen is going to turn that dust ruffle into a window treatment! And me? I'm never making a bed again!

Best regards,
Everybody's Cousin Tish
Score: 18/51

Quote of the Day: ~ "Lots of people limit their possibilities by giving up easily. Never tell yourself this is too much for me. It's no use. I can't go on. If you do you're licked, and by your own thinking too. Keep believing and keep on keeping on." ~ Norman Vincent Peale (Easy for Norman to say when he has a leg to stand on!)

2 comments:

  1. A broken foot--you poor thing! upper body strength, great idea. Core strength too--yup, the dreaded sit-ups, crunches, obliques (even sounds horrible, doesn't it?). Go for it, Tish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tish

    Did we not learn our lesson after the class of 77's reunion last summer? Tish doesn't do beds!

    Love you cous,

    Happy Easter!
    Love
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete